18 octobre 2005

Eating Habits...

My eating habits are officially terrible in two countries. Amongst my favorite foods are baguettes, upon which I generously slather Nutella, my other favorite food. For those of you who don't know about Nutella, it is a great chocolate spread that originated in Italy but is available here, as well as in the US. Nutella is amazing! It's so chocolately good...mmmm...But its bad for my dietary needs:(

This week however, I am taking great strides towards improving my eating habits. For instance, when I went grocery shopping this week, I did not buy Nutella :O I even didn't buy any cookies. (How great is that?) Instead, I bought string beans, carrots, ravioli, chicken egg rolls, quiche without meat and La vache qui rit light (all the perks with fewer kilocalories). Most of the food I have is in a can, which isn't bad except that while I have silverware, I don't have a bowl or a plate yet, so you can imagine how I eat mostly everything... Still, I'm very proud of myself; I've started doing crunches in the morning and of course, I'm walking a lot, so I should be in pretty good shape when I get back to the States.

Speaking of "good" food, last week I was trying to be healthy and bought a box of "cereal" that looked pretty healthy on the box with its dried bananas and raisins and bold proclamations: "Aux fruits" (with fruit) and "Avec 8 vitamines" (with 8 vitamins). I expected a flake-based cereal with the bananas and raisins, etc because that's how I interpreted the picture. Unfortunately, I opened the box, which was quite heavy for cereal, and found that it was laden with dry oats instead of light, crispy flakes. Still, I decided to be optimistic and try it anyway. The first handful of it was okay because there was fruit in it; the next handful, less okay. Dry oats taste like chalk, or at least what I imagine chalk tastes like. In fact, the oats are kind of dusty and--yuck! I imagine its kind of like reaching into a box of Quaker oatmeal and shoving a handful of dry, uncooked oats right into your mouth. Wow. Its been some time since I've had some of my delightful Muesli Floconneux (I didn't realize how awful the name was until I typed it) so I grabbed the box just now and tasted a bit of the "cereal" to see if it was really as bad as I'm describing it and I discovered that it still is.

For those of you, like my French teacher, who are extremely appalled by my eating habits, remember that I although I am in France, I am still a student and thus must eat and spend accordingly. So please, don't judge.

Why am I sharing this with you? Honestly, I am not sure. Mostly I think that I am just trying to build some suspense around my Giverny saga (oh yes, its definitely a saga) and also, I've been thinking about my eating habits a lot lately and wanted to share some of my inner monologue so that perhaps I could get some helpful advice...

...A segue way to A Note on Commenting.
I've been getting some feedback, via my mom, that some of you are having difficulty posting comments to my entries. First of all, thanks so much for trying. Secondly, posting comments is very easy. When you click on "comments," which is at the end of every post, a separate window will probably pop up containing the previous comments made on that post (if any) and a box for making new comments. Type your text there. You have the option of signing the post with a blogspot member name (don't chose that unless you have one), anonymously (Now, why would you want to do that? You have nothing to hide; we're all family here.), or you can choose "other," which allows you to enter your name or some other identifying mark. "Your web page" is not a required field, unless you have one and want to include it. Click "publish..." and c'est tout, that's all. It's just that easy.

Next time on J'adore Paris:
Giverny, Part II...

(Have you noticed that ellipses keep popping up in my writing; I think I love them...)